I feel that I’ve spent the last six months on a roller coaster of hotels. Not luxury spa hotels with gyms full of the latest equipment, but are ‘overnight stop’ hotels, which also boast ‘a gym’.
I’ve given up being excited by this admission, they are always so small with just enough room for a running machine and little space for anything else… Why these gyms insist on having a running machine baffles me, ok you can run or walk, fast or slow, flat or incline, but that’s all.
The gyms I’m talking about are often unattended, and if there is room for anything other than the cardio machine, it’s often dirty or in need of repair. I can’t remember when I last found a Swiss Ball that was usable, they’re often soft and need inflating.
Above all I’m not overly impressed with the general cleanliness of these gyms.
But, this is no excuse not to train whilst travelling, why not make the bedroom your gym. I know some rooms are tiny but this workout takes very little room.
Try it, and let me know what you think. Wear your trainers; hotel carpets are slippery and so don’t forget to put a towel on the floor when it comes to crunches etc.
- 60 seconds ‘on the spot’ jog, keep it light and that’s not just for the folks in the room below.
- 30 secs High Knees, chest and knees high, pump those arms, and land light.
- 30 secs Jumping jacks, half jacks if you prefer.
- 20 seconds rest, take a drink.
ALTERNATING STATIC LUNGE
- 2 sets of 15 reps. Concentrate on your technique, don’t let your knee go over your toes.
- 2 sets of 15 reps. Don’t rush it, down for the count of two and up for the same.
- back pressed against the wall and legs bent at right angles, thighs parallel to the ground.
Hold for 30-60 secs. depending on your fitness. If there’s any pain in your knees, stop.
- 2 sets of 15 reps.
Do these on a stable chair, stool or even the side of the bed.
- 2 sets of 10 reps.
Unless you have a back problem, don’t go on your knees. Adopt a full press up position, core tight, even if you only go down a couple of centimetres. With practise you’ll soon be doing a full press up.
- 25 reps. These don’t have to be big movements, knuckles into the temples, eyes looking at the ceiling, core tight and lift.
- 12 reps each side, elbow to opposite knee.
- 30-60 second hold.
- 12 reps. Slow and controlled, really squeeze your buttocks as you lift.
Now shower and off you go, you’re ready for whatever you’ve planned next.